Thursday, December 08, 2005

Crash

we had a department meeting at work yesterday during lunch. the boss provided pizza and we were supposed to watch Crash. you know, because it's all about stereotypes and my work is all about diversity. I'm so sick of that word. diversity. like corporations really give a shit.

anyway, the movie seemed really good but I didn't get to see the whole thing. my boss's boss pulled me out to look something up for her boss and then I left early because my annoying/lingering cough was probably too disruptive. and afterwards, no one really wanted to say much about it, which is cool. it's on our list of movies to rent anyway. right after the Dukes of Hazzard. so I wouldn't want anyone to ruin it for me.

I think it was a bit much for a lot of them. a big fat look at the reality that most of them never see. parts of it were slightly exaggerated, in my opinion. it's been my experience that racist comments are made under one's breath. but in the movie, they were shouted out for everyone to hear. or maybe things are different in bigger cities, I don't know.

I do want to watch the movie, although I probably wouldn't want my kids to see it yet. we all learn about the ugliness in this world eventually. maybe they'll be lucky enough to not see it until they're much older. it's not very likely, but I can hope.