Saturday, November 05, 2005

that kid of ours is growing up and I don't like it one bit. she's doing her hair and wearing lip gloss and talking about boys and in general, becoming a teenager way before I'm ready. to be fair, she is just acting her age, which is actually pretty refreshing these days. she still watches Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel. she still likes Neopets and Pokemon and still shops for clothes at Limited Too. we're really lucky she doesn't like revealing clothes or make-up, she reads books all the time and plays the clarinet. she is learning how to sew and play the piano. she's a wonderful kid, I wouldn't change a thing about her. too bad there's nothing I can do to stop her from changing herself.

it all seems to be happening so quickly. and I'm definitely not ready. last night we drove her to her first dance. A DANCE!!! she looked so cute, way too cute to go to a dance where boys could see her. one of her friends came over and did her hair, she wore black shirt with a white flower the shoulder and her black gaucho pants. she really looked beautiful. the dance was from 7:00 to 9:00. when we picked her up, she said she had a great time and spent the whole night running around with her friends. literally, running around. you know, like a kid. but still, she was at a dance. no matter how much that sucked for us though, I'm glad she had a good time.

tonight is no better. she had her first official babysitting job, for our neighbors. she's watching their six and four year old grandsons for two hours. it will be fine, she's so good with younger kids. I know she'll have fun. I would be a little nervous if we weren't going to be right next door. who am I kidding? I'll still be nervous.

why do they have to grow up? things were so much simpler when she was still a little girl. sigh.