Wednesday, January 11, 2006

we're ordinary

when hubby and I first started seeing each other, it was magic. like fate. we were so perfectly suited for each other. everyone around us could tell instantly. we could be in a room full of people and get lost in one another. we finished each other's sentences or said the same thing at the same time. we always knew what the other one was thinking.

it was like a movie or a novel, seriously. I had never experienced anything like it. we moved in together after dating for five months and neither of us had ever been happier. when we were apart I would almost count the minutes until I saw him again. we would talk on the phone, send emails, and text message constantly. a year later, he asked me to marry him. and I said yes.

we set the date. it was the second anniversary of our first date. the wedding was wonderful. a short yet meaningful ceremony followed by a casual yet beautiful reception with our families and friends. everything was perfect. we were so much in love and so happy. nothing could touch us.

fast forwarding to the present (fifteen months later), things are still great. I've never been happier. he is even more amazing than before. but the magic isn't quite as magical as it was in the beginning. that spark, that thing that made us feel like we were the first and only people to feel the way we did, is almost gone. real life and real worries and bills and family and all that other bullshit have forced their way into our world and created the tiniest of spaces between us. and just like that, we're ordinary.

we annoy each other, we voluntarily spend time apart. we go days, even weeks, without emailing each other. our timing is off, I don't always know what he's thinking now. we've actually had a fight. we're a happily married couple just like all the other happily married couples we know. how shocking!

he didn't like it at all when I shared that discovery with him the other day. he tried to deny it but we both know the truth. honestly though, I think it's kinda' cool. because nothing in my life has been ordinary before. I do miss it, that little spark, but I guess it was inevitable.

he still makes me the happiest person in the whole world. he can make me smile without even trying. I still get excited when he walks through the door. I miss him whenever we're not together. I love him with all of my heart. we still have the best relationship of any couple I know, it's no contest. we just have to work at us a little harder than we did before. there's nothing wrong with that. or with being ordinary.

I wonder if everyone starts out like we did. I sure hope so.